Come and have lunch with us on Tuesday, May 8th from 12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m. to learn about a Diabetes Prevention Program offered by the NC Cooperative Extension and Person County Health Department. We will be talking about the program which is a lifestyle change program to help you prevent or delay Type 2 Diabetes by helping you lose weight and become more active. Call LeighAnn Creson at the Health Department at 336-597-2204 x 2277 by May 3rd to register for the free lunch.
TO CLARIFY…. This lunch on May 8th is not the program, but is simply an informational lunch session to provide more information about the Diabetes Prevention Program that will be held on Tuesdays from 12-1pm starting in June 2018 – May 2019.
This is a year-long program focused on long-term changes and lasting results. A year might sound like a long commitment, but learning new habits, gaining new skills, and building confidence takes time.
- During the first 6 months of the program, meetings are about once a week.
- During the second 6 months, meetings are once or twice a month
WHO IS ELIGIBLE??
To participate, you must:
- Be at least 18 years old;
- Be overweight (BMI ≥ 24; ≥ 22 if Asian);
- Have NOT been previously diagnosed with type 1 or type 2 diabetes;
- Have established risk factors for developing type 2 diabetes; or
- Have been diagnosed with pre-diabetes within the past year or previously diagnosed with gestational diabetes.